The lawsuit accuses the economic adviser of “unjustly withholding from the economic adviser Presidential records belonging to the United States, which are part of the permanent historical record of the previous administration.”
A lawyer for Navarro did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
The court filing says the controversy over Navarro’s emails began during a committee conference a review of the government’s handling of the coronavirus Pandemonium discovered that Navarro, who played often an extremely large role in the public discussion of the Trump White House of the pandemic response, that they used a private email account to do government work. From the perspective of the National Archives, those emails were official government records.
After more than a month of discussions about the matter with government lawyers, Navarro’s attorney told officials that between 200 and 250 documents could be considered presidential records.
Separately, Navarro has sparred repeatedly with government officials since then arrested in June on charges of contempt of Congress for allegedly refusing to provide evidence or documents to the House select committee investigating the January 6 attack.
Navarro has publicly criticized the agents who arrested him, and is due back in court next week as he prepares for a November trial on contempt charges. There was another former Trump adviser, Stephen K. Bannon was convicted last month in a similar case.